Fancy T-shirt

20131009-145043.jpg

20131009-145108.jpg

In the Spring I bought about 1.5 yards of light blue jersey while I was buying fabric at JoAnn’s for other projects. I wanted more than 1.5 yards, but that was all that was on the bolt. It took some time for me to figure out what to use the fabric for since I didn’t have enough for my original idea. Fixing the blue and white houndstooth shirt last week I realized the basic pattern of that shirt might be a good construction for the jersey fabric.

20131009-151032.jpg

Using Cynthia Rowley Simplicity Pattern 2497 option A as the base for the shirt, I cut the bodice, collar, and skirt pieces. Since I didn’t have very much jersey the skirt pieces are shirt length. I used sleeves from another pattern and finished the hem of the sleeves and shirt with bias tape.

For the original 2497, a stable band is used to combine the bodice to the bottom half of the shirt, but that requires a zipper on the side to put the shirt on. So instead I sewed the bodice and skirt pieces directly together and added elastic to cinch the waist. To make the collar more interesting, I added top stitching.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s