Fabric Challenge #1 Completed

20140202-122944.jpg

Back in September I posted about how I bought scraps of fabric at 1154 Lill Studio’s warehouse and sample sale. Well, I finally got to work on problem solving what I could make with the scraps.

My original thought had been I would make a pleated skirt because I only had that much fabric and the pleating would mask the seam I would have to make in the front since the scraps of fabric weren’t very wide. After I finished cutting the skirt pieces, I still had several pieces that were large enough for a top. The only problem was the lines were running in the opposite direction of the skirt. Or was that a problem? I decided that having the lines running horizontal on top and vertical on the bottom would make the dress more interesting and store bought looking.

The original version of the dress the skirt was gathered at the waist but unfortunately the fabric looked too bulky. I didn’t have enough fabric to make the pleats really exaggerated so instead it looked like bad tailoring. I removed the extra fabric in the skirt to make it more A-line. Unfortunately you can slightly see the seem in the front of the skirt. But I think I paid $3-$4 for the fabric, had a zipper and thread from when I bought multi-packs, and got bias tape for about $2 to finish the neckline and armholes. Overall I may have spent $8 on the dress. For that price and my resourcefulness, I don’t really mind if there’s a seam showing in front. I also might have enough fabric left to make a clutch.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s