Fabric Challenge #4 Complete

Couple weeks ago I posted a sneak peak of Fabric Challenge #4. Happy to report that project is complete! Took me awhile to get pictures taken of the completed blouse because it’s too fitted to put back on the dress form.

20140325-220650.jpg

As a reminder the reason this is a Fabric Challenge is because I was trying to make something out of 17.5 x 17.5″ swatches of fabric from 1154 Lill. I had 8 black and white swatches. I decided to make it more interesting by using neon green remnants that I got at 1154 Lill several years ago for piping detail.

20140325-222236.jpg

The finished blouse is a combination of three sewing patterns. I started with a strapless bodice that I have sewn several times that has a nice fit. Then from another pattern I picked sleeves that could connect straight at the top of the bodice and be constructed of multiple pieces since fabric was limited. Wanting to make a blouse with a peplum for quite some time, I opted to make the third part of the blouse based on a skirt flounce I had. I liked the idea of continuing the piping through the front panel to the hem.

20140325-225757.jpg

20140325-225811.jpg

A recap of costs. I spent $8 on the black and white swatches of fabric. Used neon green remnants of fabric that I got in a grab bag, we’ll say $.50. Bought trim to be the base of the piping, $2.50. Had to use leftover black lining fabric, black thread, and a green zipper I got in a multi-pack, that might be about $2. That’s about $13 total.

Thanks to my boo, Rolando, for taking pics of me modeling my new blouse.

;

It’s a lime green, black & red kind of day

Had to get the ideas for the fabric I purchased yesterday down on paper. Didn’t even attempt to draw the houndstooth pattern properly. The plaid looks alright…but you get the idea. I’ll show the fabric again and my ideas.

20140307-110144.jpg

20140307-110214.jpg

For the red & black sleeveless dress with a cowl, I think I would do houndstooth for the back panel to add some fun graphic carry through on the dress.

It’s too funny how my color pencil bag and drink match my sketches!

Sneak peak at Fabric Challenge #4

For the last four fabric challenges I have been working on, I purchased the swatches at 1154 Lill, a custom handbag brand. Unfortunately 1154 Lill is closing. Today I went to the closing sale to pick up some final swatches.

20140306-191020.jpg

Scored two different black and red patterns that I think I will mix together to make a dress. Also got some plain lime green and patterned lime green and black fabric that I might make a jacket. Look for those postings in the future, the red and black might not be till end of summer since those are more fall like looks.

Wanted to provide a sneak peak of what I’m working on for Fabric Challenge #4. Using swatches of black and white woven fabric with lime green piping. Here’s what I have constructed so far…

20140306-191945.jpg

Fabric Challenge #3 Complete

A couple weeks ago I made a dress with fabric remnants from 1154 Lill that were 17.5 x 17.5″. It took 4 squares to make the top and 4 squares to make the skirt. Knowing that, I made sketches of what I could make with the 8 squares of zebra fabric I also bought from 1154 Lill.

20140302-132645.jpg

Looking through the patterns I had, I tried to find a top that required multiple pieces to construct. The 17.5″ squares aren’t wide or long enough to make a full covering front piece. I found a pattern that needed separate pieces to make the sleeves, could have side panels added to it to extend the width, and pleats in the front and back to camouflage the seams. The scooped neck and add-on sleeves maximized the length I had to work with and allowed the top to end lower which I liked so that could be the focus.

20140302-135539.jpg

Since the fabric is woven and heavier, I had trouble pulling the basting threads to create a gather in the skirt without breaking. After several tries, I decided to make a casing in the top of the skirt to add elastic to make the gathering. Once the skirt was gathered I sewed it to the constructed top and added a zipper with a pop of color. I had double folded bias tape in the same color as the zipper that I added to finish the sleeves to carry the color through. I played with the idea of adding the bias tape to the collar but after laying it on the collar and taking some photos from a distance, my boyfriend and I thought it seemed like too much. This way with a plain collar I can wear a colored necklace.

20140302-142525.jpg

The 17.5″ squares of fabric were $8 and the bias tape was $2. I bought the zipper and thread in multi-packs of supplies. I think I spent about $11 total on the dress.