Dress – McCall’s M6887

I am so in love with this blue!! While wearing my blue jacket at the MCA (Museum of Contemporary Art in Chicago) a security guard stopped me and asked, “What color would you call that blue?” My friend Claire and I looked at each other and said, “Cerulean…cobalt…?” Then we laughed and moved to the next gallery. Granted, I think that’s the most unique pick-up question I’ve heard yet, but it did make me want to hone in on the color name. If you look in my closet you’ll find dresses, leggings, shirts, and that jacket in this color. During the search for my maid-of-honor dress for my sister’s wedding, I discovered that this blue is often referred to as cobalt, ultramarine, or nautical blue depending on who’s doing the naming and the dye mixing. Due to this, I think I will call it cobalt since that typically has the vibrancy I prefer. (Please Note: The photos of this dress are slightly blown out.)

M6887_StyleB_side_pattern_fabric

When wasting time last year at a Walmart, while my car was getting serviced, I found this cobalt patterned netting for $1.50 per yard. I purchased 2 yards and then for a few months had the challenge of trying to find a lining material that would match. I could have chosen a contrast color to be the lining but decided against it. I finally found a lycra spandex for about $9 per yard. A little higher than I wanted to pay for the lining, but the lycra spandex has added a stretch and softness to the dress that make it more comfortable to wear than the polyester linings I’ve chosen for past projects.

I chose McCall’s pattern M6887 for the dress because I wanted to use the fabric to create a fitted bodice and a loose skirt. For assembly, I cut out bodice and skirt pieces in the cobalt patterned netting and then cut out bodice and skirt pieces in the lycra spandex. I ironed each piece of fabric separately. Then sewed the matching bodice and skirt pieces of each fabric together to create a layered fabric for each piece of the sewing pattern. I then started assembling the dress. I didn’t create a lining for the dress to hide the seams since with my serger I have the ability to create finished edges.

M6887_StyleB_front_back

Working with two fabrics and sewing them together first to make layered fabric pieces made my initial prep longer. But when I started sewing the seams, I knew that both edges of fabric were included. I assembled the bodice first and baste stitched the zipper seam so I could try the bodice on to make sure the fit didn’t need any adjustments before I serged all the raw edges. Since the neck and arm edges were serged I didn’t hem those areas, instead I turned them in and sewed down the serged edge.

Sometimes I have to do a lot of modifying to the fit once I assemble the pieces. To eliminate that, I took new body measurements and throughly reviewed the finished garment measurements listed on the back of the McCall’s M6887 sewing pattern envelope. The sewing pattern included different bodice pieces for A, B, C, and D bust sizes. This also helped to make the initial fit close to perfect.

I plan to use Style C of McCall’s M6887 to make another dress with the same bodice but a fitted skirt.

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s