I finished sewing these over Memorial Day weekend but didn’t get a chance to post them until now. Which means for the month of May, I’ve still hit my goal of sewing atleast 1 garment per month. Yay! Working thru … Continue reading
On Sunday I finished this jacket made of leftover black denim and black/white tweed. I put a t-shirt on the dress form to finish the look. Excited to wear it!
Last weekend was super productive! Only had about 7 small scraps of blue neoprene. I was able to piece them together to make a vest. I had leftover black nylon from a purse I made that I used for the … Continue reading
A few weeks ago I made these petal pieces to combine with a tunic in a contrasting fabric pattern. The petals were too distracting. I ended up removing them and setting them aside. But they worked out well as ruffle … Continue reading
Finally completed the jacket from Vogue Pattern V1169! I originally posted about cutting out the pieces for the pattern on June 1, 2013.
For the fabric alone this jacket has about 21 pieces. I cut the fabric pieces to make the flower that’s an add-on under the lapel, but once I got to that point, I decided with the houndstooth print there was enough details to the jacket I didn’t want it to look overworked.
If you are interested in making a jacket quickly, don’t choose this pattern. In addition to cutting out the 21 fabric pieces there are 6 lining pieces and 13 interface pieces. Now I am just counting the pattern piece numbers in my totals. In reality, the amount you are cutting is almost double because many of the pieces aren’t cut on the fold but are two separate pieces for the right left side of the jacket. To sum it up, the prep was a little longer than I was expecting.
I like the look of the piping detail on the jacket. I had trouble getting the piping to lay cleanly around the edges of the pockets. I also think that the pocket parts should have been longer so I could place the pieces slightly lower on the peplum. When I attached the peplum to the jacket I ended up having to sew lower than I think the seam allowance was to get all the raw edges cleanly hidden in the tops of the pockets.
If I made the pattern again, I think I would leave the cuff on the sleeve but make it a regular sleeve instead of one with a pleat.
I love the double lapels on the collar, the peplum, and the buttons.
Lucky for me I had this black slip dress that works well underneath the jacket. Acts as a camisole and a skirt. Someday I might make a black skirt to wear with this jacket but I’d also have to make a camisole…so that will probably be put on hold.
The fabric is a black and white houndstooth from JoAnn Fabric. Here’s the link http://m.joann.com/fashion-suitings-houndstooth-black-white/zprd_11738945a/
Postponed working on V8827 until after I wash the fabric. Pulled out the pattern pieces for V1169 that I had cut a few weeks ago from the pattern paper. This pattern has 23 pieces to make the jacket. I think that’s the most I’ve ever cut out for a project. It took some time, but here’s what the 23 pieces look like pinned to the fabric.