It was a very hot Saturday on June 30th and I wanted a top that I would feel comfortable biking in, going to a fest, and meeting my cousin for drinks in the West Loop. I used scraps … Continue reading
My favorite shirt yet! Had great success using Simplicity Pattern 4125 on the last peplum shirt that I made out of fabric scraps from last year’s Vogue Fabric Warehouse Sale. This green and black stretch neoprene has a lot of … Continue reading
So what can you create with 8 small rectangular remnant pieces of sheer heart fabric, some remnant pieces of black, and a zipper? A cute little top! Thank goodness for my serger. This sheer fabric ravels pretty easily and using … Continue reading
To create this blouse I had 8 rectangles of the sea foam with navy/white and 6 rectangles of the white with sea foam/navy. The game had two parts: 1) Use the rectangles of two fabrics with similar color schemes to cut … Continue reading
Was cutting fabric for item C of McCall’s Pattern M6711, when I found some leftover grey jersey. I really like the combination of jersey and lace when I see it on ready-to-wear clothes. Sewing this shirt was a good test … Continue reading
I’m soo excited about this shirt I made using Vogue Pattern V8831! Early 2014, I bought this navy and white stripe fabric from JoAnn’s. I really liked how the white stripes had the appearance of being a lace but knit. … Continue reading
Couple weeks ago I posted a sneak peak of Fabric Challenge #4. Happy to report that project is complete! Took me awhile to get pictures taken of the completed blouse because it’s too fitted to put back on the dress form.
As a reminder the reason this is a Fabric Challenge is because I was trying to make something out of 17.5 x 17.5″ swatches of fabric from 1154 Lill. I had 8 black and white swatches. I decided to make it more interesting by using neon green remnants that I got at 1154 Lill several years ago for piping detail.
The finished blouse is a combination of three sewing patterns. I started with a strapless bodice that I have sewn several times that has a nice fit. Then from another pattern I picked sleeves that could connect straight at the top of the bodice and be constructed of multiple pieces since fabric was limited. Wanting to make a blouse with a peplum for quite some time, I opted to make the third part of the blouse based on a skirt flounce I had. I liked the idea of continuing the piping through the front panel to the hem.
A recap of costs. I spent $8 on the black and white swatches of fabric. Used neon green remnants of fabric that I got in a grab bag, we’ll say $.50. Bought trim to be the base of the piping, $2.50. Had to use leftover black lining fabric, black thread, and a green zipper I got in a multi-pack, that might be about $2. That’s about $13 total.
Thanks to my boo, Rolando, for taking pics of me modeling my new blouse.
In the Spring I bought about 1.5 yards of light blue jersey while I was buying fabric at JoAnn’s for other projects. I wanted more than 1.5 yards, but that was all that was on the bolt. It took some time for me to figure out what to use the fabric for since I didn’t have enough for my original idea. Fixing the blue and white houndstooth shirt last week I realized the basic pattern of that shirt might be a good construction for the jersey fabric.
Using Cynthia Rowley Simplicity Pattern 2497 option A as the base for the shirt, I cut the bodice, collar, and skirt pieces. Since I didn’t have very much jersey the skirt pieces are shirt length. I used sleeves from another pattern and finished the hem of the sleeves and shirt with bias tape.
For the original 2497, a stable band is used to combine the bodice to the bottom half of the shirt, but that requires a zipper on the side to put the shirt on. So instead I sewed the bodice and skirt pieces directly together and added elastic to cinch the waist. To make the collar more interesting, I added top stitching.
So I made a dress a couple years ago out of a silk blue and white houndstooth. I love the fabric and while the fit looks great on the dress form, it didn’t look as great as I’d like on me.
Only having the fabric of the dress to work with, I decided to change it to a top. The sleeves were always uncomfortable due to other fit issues with the dress that I’ll fix next time I make the pattern. I removed the sleeves so I could wear the new top with and without a cardigan.
For ease of wearing I removed the original waistband and the zipper at the side. I added an elastic waistband and slits at sides for ease in wearing.